Akiba Commercial Bank started its activities in 1997 at the initiative of 300 Tanzanian business people, who saw high demand for microfinance in their country. The bank has a number of branches in and around the capital city Dar es Salaam and two other cities, and is looking to expand further. Hivos-Triodos Fund and Triodos Sustainable Finance Foundation are among the shareholders in Akiba Commercial Bank; a senior Triodos Bank officer represents the Triodos funds on the Board of Directors.
KEY INDICATORS as of 31 December 2015:
- number of loan clients: 21,750
- percentage female clients: 60%
- percentage rural clients: 0%
- average loan amount: EUR 1,331
- number of savings clients: 175,197